Monash Medical Centre’s emergency department triage and waiting area will be temporarily relocated from Tuesday morning, as part of the redevelopment project.
A temporary triage and waiting area has been built just inside Monash Medical Centre’s main entry.
“From 7am on Tuesday morning the main entry of Monash Medical Centre will be the only entry for all foot traffic,” said Dr Rachel Rosler, Director of Emergency Medicine.
“We’ve planned patient flows and worked on ensuring internal corridors are prepared for more people. There will be signage in place to help visitors get where they want to be,” Dr Rosler said.
The temporary triage and waiting area is in the space formerly occupied by the admissions lounge and Monash Health Foundation offices. Pedestrians walking into Monash Medical Centre will turn left to enter the new space.
There is also a separate children’s triage desk and waiting area, which will operate between 10am and 11pm daily.
Executive Director of Capital and Infrastructure David Ballantyne said he is thankful for the way employees have responded during construction.
“The way reception, site management, security, volunteers, emergency employees and others have all worked to reduce disruption has been excellent.”
“Major projects such as this can lead to visitors feeling a bit overwhelmed but thankfully we’ve seen a positive response from people so far, and that comes down to how our employees have helped reduce the impact on visitors.”
The emergency department redevelopment and traffic improvement project is progressing well, and is expected to be completed in 2022.