Chief Executive COVID-19 Update: 5 August

Message from the Chief Executive


With the Stage 4 lockdown and State of Disaster now in place and further restrictions for workplaces coming into force at 11.59pm tonight, I wanted to provide you with an important update.

Healthcare workers do not need a permitted worker permit.

I understand many of you are concerned about the requirement to have a permit to allow you to travel to or leave from work outside of the curfew hours, or if you live further than 5km from work.

As a Monash Health employee, you are considered a permitted worker as you are playing a part in the State response to the coronavirus pandemic.

In particular, the Premier has advised that no special permit is required to be issued to you on the basis that you are “health workers who carry employer-issued photographic identification, which clearly identifies the employer.”

Your Monash Health ID is therefore sufficient.

We need to play our part in helping adhere to the spirit of this lockdown, which means I expect that you will not use your pass for purposes other than coming to or leaving from work.

The advice is very clear and unambiguous. An employee does not need a worker permit if:

  • they are at risk at home, such as at risk of family violence
  • they are law enforcement, emergency services workers or health workers who carry employer-issued photographic identification, which clearly identifies the employer.

At yesterday’s employee forum, several of you raised concerns about not being able to see your photograph on old ID cards, or costs involved if they are lost and need to be replaced by security.

You can have your identification reprinted at no cost for the time being. If you do need to replace your identification, please call the security office ahead of time.

Please treat your ID cards with care because they are essential to you and Monash Health at this time.

Access to childcare permits

Today, a second permit system has been launched which is specifically to allow childcare access for vulnerable children or children of permitted workers, who have no one else to look after their child within their household.

As a permitted worker, whether working on-site or from home, you will be able to complete a new simple Access to Childcare Permit so that you can access childcare while you carry on your essential work.

The Access to Childcare Permit form will be added to the Victorian Government website as soon as it is available.

You will need to print this out and ask your manager to sign it off.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding during this time of rapid change. I want to assure you we are implementing arrangements to assist you as rapidly as possible and need to balance this with ensuring we provide you with accurate, safe and appropriate guidance.

We will keep you informed as best we can. As always, go to a reliable source.

Andrew Stripp
Chief Executive

All managers are requested to share these updates with their teams and discuss at stand-ups and handovers. Please print a copy and display it in communication books and on employee noticeboards.

As advice and information evolve, please consult the latest updates and visit the Department of Health and Human Services and Monash Health COVID-19 website for employees regularly for the latest.

Previous Next
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this
This website is for Monash Health employees. Please be mindful before sharing links.Learn more