Permitted workers

Information about permitted workers including frequently asked questions and resources.

Frequently asked questions

Who is a permitted worker?

All employees of Monash Health are permitted workers.  This includes clinical, as well as administrative and support services employees.

As a permitted worker, when can I send my children to school/childcare/kindergarten?

As an employee of Monash Health, you can send your children to school, childcare and kindergarten in the following circumstances:

  • Where you are required to work onsite; or
  • For childcare and kindergarten, where you are able to work from home, but you are unable to supervise your children in the course of your duties, and you do not have anyone else in the household who can supervise your children.

The Victorian Government has confirmed that permitted workers can still access onsite childcare or kindergarten where the other parent or carer cannot supervise the children, even if that other person is not a permitted worker also. The Victorian Government has asked that Victorians only access childcare and kindergarten services if they have to. Some examples of where this may be appropriate are where your partner or co-parent:

  • Has a medical condition, or chronic illness which prevents them from caring for the child;
  • Has a disability;
  • Is completing full time study and must attend onsite; or
  • Works from home, but in a role that means they cannot provide supervision, resulting in the permitted worker not being able to do their job.

Please note that from:

  • 28 September 2020 – childcare opened to all children
  • 5 October 2020 – sessional kindergarten resumed for all children
  • 12 October 2020 – onsite school returns for Prep to Year 7, VCE (years 11 and 12 or those doing VCE, VCAL subjects, International Baccalaureate, or VETiS) and special schools
  • 26 October – onsite school returns for Years 8 to 10.

What if I need to be driven to work by another individual if I am unable to do this myself?

If a member of your household drives you to work, the Victorian government has recommended drivers carry a copy of your permitted workers permit while you are not in the car.  Whilst Monash Health employees do not require a permitted workers permit, you can download the permit and ask your manager to sign the permit for you.

How do I obtain a letter confirming that I need to attend work if I will be travelling between 8pm and 5am or outside 5km from my home?

Other than Residential Aged Care healthcare workers carrying identification do not require a worker permit during Stage 4 restrictions. Your Monash Health Employee identification card will suffice as confirmation that you are travelling for work purposes as confirmed in the Premier’s press conference on 4 August 2020.

Simply show your Monash Health employee identification if you are stopped on the way to or from work.

If you have lost or damaged your Monash Health identification card, contact Security to arrange a replacement.

If your Monash Health identification card needs replacement as the image is unclear, you should contact the Security and the replacement card will be provided free of cost.

For Residential Aged Care workers you are required to carry a worker permit at all times.

Residential Aged Care workers who require a Permitted Worker Permit must carry photo identification when travelling to and from the workplace. If required to produce proof of a worker permit it can be a hard copy or an electronic version presented on a mobile phone.


Permitted Worker Scheme Template – childcare addition

Where employees are working on-site and need to access childcare/kindergarten (Word document)

Access to Childcare Scheme Template

Where employees are working from home but need to access childcare/kindergarten (Word document)

Permitted Worker Permit

Where an employee is being driven to work by someone else. (Word document)

Previous Next
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this