In keeping with our strategic principle of working together with humility, respect, kindness and compassion, we are excited to be participating once again in the Gathering of Kindness celebrations from 9-13 November.
The Gathering of Kindness is a movement founded by Dr Catherine Crock a Paediatrician and the CEO of the Hush Foundation. The movement aims to build and nurture a culture of kindness.
The Gathering of Kindness week is a good opportunity for all of us to reflect on how we show kindness to our patients and colleagues. This year, the Gathering of Kindness is going virtual. There are a number of ways you can get involved.
Launching the Gathering of Kindness
The Gathering of Kindness week will be launched at the Senior Leadership Team meeting on Monday 9 November. We are excited to host Dr Debbie Ling, Lecturer, Social Work Department at Monash University to hear about her research on the concept of Common Humanity: the basis of unbiased universal compassion. We will also be introducing moments of kindness at our COVID-19 employee forum on Tuesday 10 November and the Manager Briefing on Wednesday 11 November. Be sure to tune in and learn more about how we can continue to demonstrate kindness in the workplace.
Special edition employee forum, Thursday 12 November
Join us on Thursday 12 November for a special edition of the employee forum where Chief Medical Officer Dr Anjali Dhulia will be hosting a Schwartz Round with a focus on kindness.
Schwartz Rounds are forums where both clinical and non-clinical employees can come together to discuss the emotional and social aspect of healthcare. They aim to facilitate a greater understanding of the challenges and rewards that come with providing care to our patients.
You can view the event listing for the special employee forum on the Monash Health COVID-19 website.
World Kindness Day sessions, Friday 13 November
Monash Health employees will have access to sessions run by Gathering of Kindness on Friday 13 November, World Kindness Day. The sessions will run as follows:
- 8am to 9am: Simon Anderson, Researcher behind the ‘Public Policy and the Infrastructure of Kindness in Scotland’ report
- 9.30am to 10.30am: Dr Chris Turner, Founder of Civility Saves Lives
- 11am to 12pm: Expert Panel on the notion of Resilience with Julia Harper David Clarke, Dr Carmel Crock and facilitator Sharee Johnson
You need to register for these sessions in advance. To register:
- Select your tickets and click ‘Enter Details’
- Enter the discount code ‘MONASH100’
- Enter your details and click ‘Save & Checkout’
- You will receive a confirmation email
For more information about World Kindness Day, you can visit the Monash Health COVID-19 website.
The events are also open to our volunteers and consumer advisors.
Gathering of Kindness video resources
Monash Health employees will also have access to video segments through the Gathering of Kindness. These include:
- Author to Author series – pairing authors to talk about emotional journeys, healthcare journeys and mental health.
- Healthcare huddles and handovers – covering topics such as narrative training, embedding kindness into healthcare and trauma-informed care.
- Performance space – a broad range of artists perform their pieces.
- A touch of kindness – a series of short, snappy videos focusing on kindness in healthcare.
These videos will be available on the Gathering of Kindness website.
Tell us what kindness means to you
Kindness is behaviour marked by acts of generosity, consideration or concern for others without the expectation of praise or reward. As part of the Gathering of Kindness, we would love to hear what kindness looks like to you. It could be a small gesture from a colleague or an outpouring of kindness from a patient. Send us an instance or two where you experienced or expressed kindness at work. You can email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selfie time! Show us how kindness makes you feel
During the week, we are encouraging people to send us a photo showing us how you celebrate kindness or show us how kindness makes you feel with a selfie! You can email your submissions to email@example.com
We hope you can join us throughout the week to celebrate kindness! #KindnessWorksHere